We appreciate that this is a very difficult time for your business and we are here to support you as much as we can.
As the COVID19 crisis escalates and the UK moves into the delay phase of the virus cycle, the Council's Economic Development service is focussed on supporting businesses through this difficult period.
In addition to highlighting support on offer from the Council and its partners, we will also relay Government announcements and signpost you towards the most up-to-date information available to us as a local authority. Our aim is to be clear, transparent and jargon free in order to offer a direct, reliable and accurate source of information for businesses of all sizes.
We understand the sense of urgency that you, as an employer and business leader, must be feeling and know that ideally you would like answers to all of your questions. Unfortunately, in these unprecedented times we simply cannot speculate as to timescales, future developments and therefore what the overall impact will be for businesses across Dundee.
Grant support is now available to help businesses deal with the impact of COVID-19, This grant is being administered by Local Authorities on behalf of the Scottish Government. Eligible ratepayers should apply here, alternatively call 01382 431203.
The purpose of these one-off grants is to help protect jobs, prevent business closure and promote economic recovery.
Two types of grant are available to ratepayers:
- £10,000 grant to ratepayers of businesses in receipt of the Small Business Bonus Scheme or Rural Relief. Business with a rateable value up to £18,000 are eligible. You can also get this grant if you applied for Nursery Relief or Disabled Relief but are eligible for the Small Business Bonus Scheme.
- Retail, hospitality and leisure business ratepayers with a rateable value between £18,001 - £50,999 can apply for a one-off grant of £25,000.
- Business Gateway Tayside
Business Gateway Tayside is one of the Council's main interfaces with business, and for advice on specific business issues (listed below), please contact an advisor on 01382 848163.
Business Gateway can help you with:
- Crisis Planning - advice on insurance, staffing, HR Solutions, Scot Gov financial assistance.
- BG National are also exploring information and advice for particularly vulnerable sectors, such as Hospitality, food & drink, retail, leisure industry etc. which will be posted online.
Alternatively, see their dedicated Business Gateway coronavirus web page.
- Business Rates Relief - Dundee City Council
Immediately, and as we move towards economic recovery, the Council can provide you with advice and funding relating to:
Non-Domestic Rates customers who are experiencing payment difficulties are encouraged to contact our Non Domestic Rates Team, where a member of staff will be happy to assist:
Email: email@example.com (link sends e-mail)
Tel: 01382 431203
Meantime customers can continue to have access to our 24/7 online payment facility and information on rates relief which is currently available on our non domestic rates web page.
The measures announced by Scottish Government as at 18th March are summarised below:
- 1-year rates holiday (100% relief) for all retail, hospitality and leisure properties, from April.
- 1.6% NDR relief for all properties across Scotland, from April.
- A new Local Government Finance Order to approve the NDR estimate reduction of £1bn and an increase in General Revenue Grant of £1bn.
Grants to Business
- £10k grant for all businesses qualifying for Small Business Bonus Scheme, eligible for rural relief or nurseries relief, from April.
- £25k grant for businesses in hospitality sector for Rateable Values between £18,000 and £51,000 from April.
- Total cost: £1.2bn with 120,000 businesses eligible.
- Councils will administer the grants and they will not be application based.
This is very much a live page and will be amended as things develop including the administration of the retail, hospitality and leisure relief and grants. Discussions are currently on-going with council directors of finance on the best way to deliver these grants.
Relevant guidance will be provided as soon as further details are made available
- Recruitment and Training Incentives
Our Employability Teams can assist with recruitment and training support during and after this ongoing difficult period. Subject to eligibility, this includes access to an In-Work Training Allowance where employers provide employment opportunities for one of our key target groups. We can also signpost businesses to other relevant support provided by partner organisation such as Skills Development Scotland, Dundee & Angus College, Department for Work and Pensions and others. Given the potential of high demand, we ask that you email us in the first instance to ensure you enquiry is allocated to an available staff member.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail).
- Dundee & Angus Chamber of Commerce
Contact the team at email@example.com (link sends e-mail) or call 01382 228545
The Chamber is an independent voice for local business and represents its membership across in Dundee & Angus.
The website and social media contains up to date guidance for employers and businesses on Covid-19 including:
- Online resources and regularly updated information from the Scottish & UK Governments.
- Guidance and links to relevant external support organisations Information on Delivery Services from local business who need our support
- The online information is updated daily and includes details on business support and access to finance.
- The Chamber is currently supporting member and non-member businesses to overcome challenges and access business support from a wide range of partners.
- Webinars and online resources to share business resilience tips, remote working support and maintain connections
The online information is updated daily and includes details on business support and access to finance. The Chamber is currently supporting member and non-member businesses to overcome challenges and access business support from a wide range of partners.
The Dundee & Angus Chamber of Commerce Covid-19 Hub is an information & signposting service for ANY business looking to understand how the current situations impacts them, their staff and their future.
- Federaion of Small Businesses
The Federation of Small Businesses can provide you with advice and guidance on reducing the risks from the Covid-19 virus to you and your business. They can be contacted on: 0808 20 20 888 or https://www.fsb.org.uk/campaign/covid19.html (link is external)
FSB can help you with:
- Guidance to help with managing your staff and your responsibilities.
- Provide a list of key contacts for small businesses.
We will continue to monitor the situation closely, and regularly review the support we can offer to ensure it remains useful and relevant.
- Other Organisations Providing Support
Advice for tourism businesses: https://www.visitscotland.org/supporting-your-business/advice/coronavirus (link is external)
Advice for event organisers: https://www.visitscotland.org/events/advice-materials/coronavirus (link is external)
Scottish Tourism Alliance
Advice for businesses: https://scottishtourismalliance.co.uk/ (link is external)
Including further details of Scot Gov support package for tourism sector: https://scottishtourismalliance.co.uk/scottish-government-320-million-pa...
- Useful Links
- Social Enterprises/Third Sector
The Scottish Government have just announced £20 million for a Third Sector Resilience Fund, to help ensure the health and continued viability of social enterprise and third sector organisations affected by cash flow and other problems - plus other grant programmes that may be accessed by social enterprises - see details here. (link is external)
Social Enterprise Scotland have created a new resources page (link is external) regarding financial and other support for members amid the Coronavirus situation, that we will keep updated.